Monday, June 14, 2004

Elevators

My dad works for a company designing elevator button panels on CAD, so I always notice the quality and nuances of elevators.

There are two elevators in my building at work. They are sleek and modern, efficient and fast. And they announce their intentions. So when you call the elevator in the lobby, it tells you "elevator going up" or "elevator going down" which is great so you don't end up heading to the basement when you really just want to get to the penthouse. The message is friendly enough to remind you when you've reached your floor by announcing at the stop.

But what I reaized the other day is that one of the elevators is a man, and the other is a woman. This made me wonder... why? Were the voices recorded in the building? Did they come pre-recorded with the elevator? Are there choices you can make when you install the elevator? Like are there other voices that I don't hear like an english person, or even multi-lingual recordings? Or are the two sold as a pair ("His and hers elevators, available now from Otis")

And then I start getting silly... Is there "Love in an elevator?" are they "living it while they're goin down?" Does one elevator perform better, and what does this indicate about the sexes? No, thats just goofy... but really, why?

No comments: