Friday, June 11, 2004

NYC Subway stories (part 1)

I love the NYC Subway. I love how expansive and convenient it is. In my past life as an Environmental Consultant, the MTA was one of our clients, and I learned all about the subway and was even certified to walk on subway track if I needed to. But more than all that, I love all the crazy stuff that goes on on the subway itself. Sometimes you get a unique experience, but there are also those typical NY subway stories. Anyhow, I think this one falls somewhere in the middle.

So I was on the subway and it was pretty crowded. Every seat was taken (I was lucky to have gotten one) and there were a bunch of people were standing. I think I was going downtown. At one point I noticed the distinct odor of passed gas, one of the potential drawbacks to being in an enclosed space with a bunch of people. Especially when you are stitting with your face at ass level of the people standing. Luckily, the air cleared when the train got to the next stop, and some people got off. At the next stop the majority of the people exited, leaving me sitting next to a guy and the rest of the train car sparsely populated.

Now this is a critical moment of subway travel, like whether or not to pry the doors open as they close or whether to switch to the express train. I was faced with the option of moving to one of the newly empty seats at the risk of insulting my seat mate. I decided to stay put. Big mistake. As the doors close, he lets another one drop. The odor is so gross, I turn my head to try to find some fresh air. Of course now I definitely can't switch seats not only because I missed the window of opportunity when the seats being newly available made it okay to move, but because now I would clearly be moving simply because this guy is stinking up the train car. Fortunately I only had a short ride left, so I sorta held my breath until my stop, which was not too far away. Isn't it strange that I took into consideration of what this stranger would think of me switching seat? I mean, he sure didn't think of me when he had that second bean burrito the night before!

No comments: