Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Finally a week worthy of creating a blog...

Okay, so I have been thinking about starting a blog for awhile. I have mixed feelings on the whole blog thing… I mean it is so self serving/voyeuristic in some ways. And yet some of em contain really good information, humor and insight. I hope mine is more of the latter. So I thought I would try one for the summer and see how it goes, since I should be pretty busy and will have lots to say. I’m not sure that my friends would want their names splashed around the internet, so for now, I will keep it vague.

I am lucky to live in New York because random shit happens all the time. This week has been particularly random, and it’s only Wednesday.

Sunday: I won tickets to the comedy short film festival from The Onion, so I headed out to meet my friend for a pre-theater dinner around 4:30. And, in typical form, I realized as the door slammed behind me that my keys were on the entry table. Luckily, this happens often enough that I had the foresight to give a spare set to a day-trading friend who lives nearby and is usually home. I give him a call, but realize he was in Martha’s Vineyard for the weekend. The movies keep me in a good mood. I end up staying over at my movie friend’s place, so we walked home from the theater on 60th and 1st to her place around Bleeker and 7th ave. Monday night I planned to crash at a different friend’s house, but at the last minute hear from my key friend. I head over there and he is like, “That is so weird. Sunday night around 5:00 I was worried that I had lost your spare set of keys, or what if you needed them this weekend.” Yeah weird coincidence. Now I need to start thinking of backup places to keep keys, like at my office. Too bad one of those little fake rock key holders would look pretty obvious outside my apartment door!

Monday: So I’m walking to work in the morning from my movie friend’s house in the West Village and pass by the Bed Bath & Beyond on Sixth Ave. Out front is a van loading up some lamps and things. On the side it says something about “On-Demand Delivery” and “Murray’s Van Service” I thought, hey that’s cool, I wonder if they are like personal shoppers or something, like Fresh Express for home furnishings. That night as I’m on the 79th St. crosstown bus going to pick up my keys, traffic is all backed up. I’m running late and a little annoyed, feeling bad if I’m keeping my friend awake since he’s doing me a favor holding my keys. Then I realize why the traffic is backed up: A van was in an accident and is up on one of those flatbed tow truck thingies. As we pass by, I notice, you guessed it: it’s the same van! Poor Murray.

Also Monday: So I am a member of NYSC. But I had only been once since I lost my job in mid-March. The first month I was too lazy, and since the nearest one to me is 30 blocks away, I was not motivated to get on the train to go work out. Then I started a new job, so was busy with that. Then I was sick off and on for over a month, which sucked. I had no energy to work out. Anyhow, I got an automated message from them saying “we noticed you have become a lazy lard-butt. Come in for a free personal training session!” Yay! So I scheduled one for Monday with a trainer named “Trey” I show up and he turns out to be my ex-roomie’s ex-roomie (from the apartment he lived in after he moved out of our share). So it was cool, because I was a little nervous about what I would have to say to the trainer. But instead we chatted about our mutual friend and the little info we knew about each other (we’d only met briefly a couple times. That was just another instance of “for having 8 million people, NYC is a small place”

Tuesday: As I mentioned I have been sick off and on for a month. It Sucks. I missed some work, lost my appetite (and that’s saying something), sleep a lot, cough and sneeze. I don’t feel sick in a typical cold/flu way, just yucky. So I woke up Tuesday feeling like I’d swallowed a thumbtack. My brother used to have strep and ear infections so often as a kid that my mom didn’t even have to take him to the doctor, she’d just call the doc and he would call in a prescription to Walgreen’s. All that time, I never caught it from him, but I was pretty sure I had it now. And after 4 hours at the ER/Clinic (I don’t have insurance), they told me I was right. The nurse told me I would be cured by a shot of penicillin. “Great!” I thought as I rolled up my sleeve. The nurse looked at me, laughed, and told me to drop trou. So now my ass hurts more than my throat. I guess it’s a trade-off. But being sick again is going to hinder my gym motivation… especially since my abs hurt a lot when I cough from my training session the other day!

No comments: