Thursday, February 16, 2006

Thursday - Mexico!

On Thursday I awoke early again to get down to Ensanada, Mexico. First I hopped on the San Diego Trolley (light rail) for a 45 minute ride to the border. Then a quick walk across a footbridge, and I was in Tijuana.

Photobucket
The Border

Then I hopped on a coach bus for the ~2 hour ride to Ensanada. It is further south down the coast of Baja California. They are known for being near wine country, as a stop for cruise ships, and for the blow hole ("la bufadora") which I had hoped to see, but didn't make it to. I arrived during the siesta hour, so walked around for awhile just seeing the sights (including these mariachis).

Photobucket

Then I stopped into one local winery located in town rather than in the hills. I bought some real vanilla and a bottle of wine before heading on my way.

Photobucket
Winery

I happened past a fabric store, so had to check it out. I ended buying some typical mexican woven fabrics and some others that I thought were unique. The exchange rate is about 10 pesos to 1 dollar, and the dollar is pretty strong in Mexico now.

Photobucket
fabric store sign

At this point I was famished, and the restaurants had reopened. I went over to a wine bar to get some lunch/dinner and to sample wines from up in the mountains. While sitting at the bar I struck up a conversation with an American businessman who does his manufacturing (of traffic lights) in Mexico. It was nice to have someone to chat with and he even picked up the tab for my dinner before heading out! I wrapped up the night with a quick stop at Hussong's, where the margarita was supposedly invented.

No comments: