Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Wednesday - Going to San Diego

On Wednesday morning I headed out of LA, stopping at the La Brea Tar Pits. It was interesting to see (and smell!) the pits, and see all the reassembled skeletons of mastadons, wooly mammoths, birds of prey and big cats. There were many school groups there so I tagged along with some of their tours to pick up little tidbits offered by the guides.

Photobucket
The La Brea Tar pits

Afterwards, I headed out to The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens. I toured the library (including an illuminated Cantebury Tales and Gutenberg Bible) and the art museum before having high tea in the tea room.

Then it was off to San Diego... another beatiful ride. I stopped to take pictures (my digital camera was acting up, so they are on film) and a little chipmunk or something came right up to me to say hi!

I checked into the 500 West Hotel, which was formerly a YMCA but now is an inexpensive, European style modern botique hotel (simple, nice furnishings, shared private bathrooms). I relaxed for a bit before heading out to dinner at a veggie-friendly Mexican place called Pocquez. It was ridiculously inexpensive, and I enjoyed the tofu options on the menu!

Tucked in early that night, pooped from several days of hard traveling.

No comments: